Cape York roads

Arrived back at Laura yesterday arvo

Roads north from Laura
First 30km out of Laura pretty bad corrugations
Rest of road to Musgrave via Hann River pretty good with roadworks in progress
Musgrave north...first 20km pretty heavily corrugated and last 20km to Coen the same. The bits in between ordinary
Coen to Weipa mild to badly corrugated in places.
Sealed strips of road bring a welcome relief
PDR to OTT at Batavia Downs. Good road but BIG bulldust hole near Batavia Downs airstrip...there is a bush track around the obstacle
Coen, Archer River, OTT, Moreton Telegraph Station to Bramwell Junction..road good in places with mild corrugations
Bramwell Junction to Bamaga...road pretty ordinary and heavily corrugated in places. Bitumen strips bring relief.

Road conditions change all the time, so.........

Take it easy, lower tyre pressures, drive at a safe speed or pay the price.
There have been numerous accidents, rollovers and drownings of vehicles on Cape Roads over the past few weeks. Mechanical workshops along the way are chokkas with broken 4bies, trailers and vans and the mechanics are smiling as hourly rate is $110ph plus

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 06:59

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 06:59
thanks for the info mate,headin up there early september,hopefully most of the crowds will be gone. steady steady and lower pressures sure is the way to go.

cheers,
sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 461365

Reply By: Robert K3 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 08:12

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 08:12
Any idea what Frenchman's is like and the crossing at the Pascoe?

Rob

AnswerID: 461367

Follow Up By: Josh-38 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2011 at 22:40

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2011 at 22:40
3 weeks ago the pascoe was still deep about 1.3m but has a hard rocky bottom. Eastern side exit is steep and careful line taking is needed otherwise winching will be required over the lip. Western bank is steep and rocky would think winching is required. Due to the western entry to the wenlock also being steep i would recommend transversing west out towards chili beach.

Cheers Josh
FollowupID: 735464

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 09:02

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 09:02
Sounds like the dentisits in Cairns will do alright too Spero.

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 461373

Sponsored Links